Thursday, March 31, 2011

PESO Program: Employment for Students and Out-of-School Youth

Now it is summer time, most  students and teachers shall enjoy the two (2) month school break but there can be different ways to make the school break worthwhile. For one, Public Employment Service Office (PESO) offers a employment program for students and out - of - school youth during summer and Christmas break.

PESO's official website says and I qoute,


The Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) is mandated under Republic Act No. 7323 otherwise known as “An Act to Help Poor But Deserving Students Pursue Their Education By Encouraging Their Employment During Summer and/or Christmas Vacations, Through Incentives Granted to Employers, Allowing Them to Pay Only Sixty Percentum of Their Salaries or Wages and the Forty Percentum Through Education Vouchers to be paid by the Government, Prohibiting and Penalizing the Filing of Fraudulent or Fictitious Claims, and For Other Purposes”, and amended by Republic Act No. 9547 entitled “an Act Strengthening and Expanding the Coverage of SPES, Amending for the Purpose Provisions Of R.A. No. 7323”.
The SPES is a joint undertaking of the Department of Labor and Employment, Department of Education, Commission on Higher Education, Department of Budget and Management, Department of Social Welfare and Development and the Department of Finance.
The Secretary of the Department of Labor and Employment is designated as Program Chairperson of SPES.

The objective of the SPES is to develop the intellectual capabilities of children of poor families and harness their potentials for the country, geared towards industrialization.
Specifically, the program aims to help poor but deserving students pursue their education by encouraging their employment during summer and/or Christmas vacations and providing income to finance / augment / subsidize their studies.

The SPES is open to all qualified high school, college or vocational students or drop-outs and interested employers.

Students and Drop-outs
  • 15-25 years old; 
  • enrolled during the present school year/term or during the school year/term immediately preceeding the summer vacation;
  • dropout who intend to continue his education; 
  • parents’ combined net income after tax, including his/her own, if any, does not exceed the annual regional poverty threshold level for a family of (6) as determined by NEDA; 
  • garnerned a passing grade during the school year/term referred above or in case of dropout, the last year/term attended 
  • his/her parents has been displaced or about to be displaced due to business closure or work stoppage provided he/she meets 1, 2 and 4 above.

  • any person or entity who has employed at least 10 workers at any given time during the past 12 months.

What are the documentary requirements for the students?
  • Duly filled Registration Form 01 (3 copies) with ID pictures attached and attested by the school principal or registrar.
  • Any of the following to attest his/her age:
Birth/baptismal certificate
Form 138 where age is specified
Joint Affidavit of two disinterested parties pertaining to the age of student.
  • Any of the following to attest the students’ rating:
Form 138 (High School Report Card)
Certification by School Registrar that the student has a passing school grade during the previous semester/school year
Certified true copy of the student’s class card where his/her passing could be determined
Latest Income Tax Return of the Parents / or a certification from the Barangay Chairman as to the economic status of his/her family or a certification from employer/union president that the parent of the applicant is to be displaced or have been displaced.
How are students paid?
The student is paid a salary or wage not lower than the minimum wage for private employers or the applicable hiring rate for the national government and LGUs.
At least 60% of the salary will be paid by the employer in cash.
The remaining 40% of the salary will be paid by DOLE in the form of education voucher to the student or his/her beneficiaries as circumstances may warrant.
Where to Apply?
Students-applicants may apply at any of the following: DOLE Regional/District/Provincial Office, Public Employment Service Offices (PESOs), or other deputized entities.
Employers may signify their intention to hire students by signing a Pledge of Commitment and submitting it to the nearest PESOs/DOLE Regional Offices.

No comments: