Les Miserables is a historical French novel by Victor Hugo published in 1862 and has been considered as one of the greatest novels in the 19th century.
From Wikipedia, there are several adaptions to include :
- 1935, directed by Richard Boleslawski, starring Fredric March and Charles Laughton, the first version of the story nominated for Best Picture Academy Award
- The 1937 radio adaptation by Orson Welles
- The 1980 musical, by Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schönberg
- The 1998 film, starring Liam Neeson
- The 2000 TV miniseries, starring Gérard Depardieu
- The 2012 film, starring Hugh Jackman
Les Miserable had clearly depicted the drama of the early French revolution and the crisis that crippled the society. Having it clearly rendered through music is a a work of a total genius. This movie along with the works of musical Phantom of the Opera and Mama Mia are magnificent works of art and music.
Now, that I finally know the plot, I shall soon find time to read the entire novel to visualize fully the plot.