However, child abuse or maltreatment can be prevented by parents, teachers, and the community of multi - sectoral aggregated efforts are made.
When kids are abused, they are most likely inclined to be victims of the following (verbatimly copied from the April 2010 WHO fact sheet):
- perpetrating or being a victim of violence
- high - risk sexual behaviours
- unintended pregnancy
- alcohol and drug misuse
In the report of National Child Abuse of America, around 6 million children are subjected to abuse and about 5 kids die everyday due to neglect and child abuse.
On the other hand, global statistics shows that 40 million kids were abused and that suicide is the third leading cause of deaths among adolescents. And, 3 million girls experience genital mutilation every year.
As parents, we can prevent child maltreatment from happening. Experts suggest the following tips:
- By having a loving and healthy family relationship at home, kids can foster such positive attitude too to others.
- Limit / monitor exposure of kids to TV, music, and other media that show scenes of violence.
- Teach your kids to express their fears, experiences especially of violent ones. Be watchful of change in behavior.
- Gadgets like pepper gun and / or self - defense skills can help too.
- Having child - friendly community should be regularly enforced. Police visibility should be constantly present for immediate action to child abuse reports. Child abuse centers that house rehabilitation and assistance to abused kids should be well supported and accessible to anyone who seek help.
When kids are abused may it be in the form of neglect, sexual abuse, physical abuse, psychological maltreatment, medical neglect can be prevented. So, as parents and concerned citizens, let us keep the young ones protected. We report incidents of child maltreatment and we foster a child - friendly environment too.